The Durian Story

4:19 PM

When in season, Durian is a must-eat fruit and is loved by many (or by South East Asian countries people, yay)

This is a typical flesh of Durian we recently had (Don't know what type this one, but its a cheap one LOL)

I never thought this post about Durian will make it to this blog post (at this time of writing). But I want to be informative! (Since I notice my traffic includes US citizen, weird, cuz maybe I mentioned a lot about skincare/beauty brands from the US)

I can eat Durian no problem, it is king of fruits afterall. But I can also survived without eating Durian at all for a whole year or more! Meaning, if it's there, I'll eat. If not, then I have no problem with it.. The reason behind "me-not caring" about buying these is simply because I grew up with these (and all other fruits at my hometown/village!), it feels normal/not so special..

My grandmother has huge space (garden) of fruit trees including : Durian, Rambutan, Manggis, Nangka, Jambu, Longan, Limau Bali, Pisang and many many other.. Durian, Rambutan, Manggis and Jambu become super cheap/forgotten, they like raining on the roof (need to sweep them all the time when they hit ground!)


The last memory of going to the garden to pickup Durian -in 2012 before I started working officially (as a graduate (pipeline) engineer, later in the 2012). The process are: you're going to the Dusun after Subuh, you'll start hearing dropped sound of Durian (dup! dup!) and go pick it up! Sometimes, way earlier ones are already dropped, covered in dried leaves, or even already been punched by wild animal (wild monkey, I think?). To find those not-so-recently dropped Durian is tricky to me (but my mom's super power)! Because all I see is, well, dried leaves.. ROFL

Although I don't fancy Durian too much (cuz again, I had too much of it in my younger age!), I still cook Durian dishes.. Recently, my Husband bought these from a friend :


Flesh of Musang King (the expensive one!) and D24 (the okay-one)

We usually eat the expensive flesh to be reminded what a mouth-watering fruit Durian is.. (to those not eating Durian, I don't know, what kind of Durian did you taste? Hehe). For example, Musang King is a creamy and sweet one. D24 has a balance between sweet and bitter..

For the cheap flesh ones (Durian Kampung, kahwin, etc), my favourite dish would be.. *drumroll*

Patin Masak Tempoyak! (Shoot, I am *drooling*)


The right one, nyumss!

My recently cooked Patin Masak Tempoyak. Nyums! I loveeee that my Husband don't eat Patin, all these are for myself!

For desserts, other than Durian Crepe and Doughnuts (which I really likes, cuz it is coated with whipped cream), the one my husband enjoy is : Serawa Durian (simplest, 5 minutes prep time only!)


One time.. in 2021 (can pair with Roti Jala)


Second time, in 2021.. (can also pair with steamed sandwich bread)


Durian deserves much love and fans (which they are, here, no doubt) because its versatility alone and in sweet/savoury dishes.. Proud of this King of Fruit!

Except the recent discoveries of illegal Durian Farms in Pahang which made millions (export purposes) is such a disgrace.. Hope the illegal farmers would pay for manipulating Durian price too it became so expensive (the higher grade one). And may we all continue loving this fruit..


Until next post!




 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Blog Archive