Towards Zero Waste : My Baby Steps

4:12 PM


I am already committed towards zero waste, slowly, but surely. Even Marie Kondo admits that her KonMari method is (way) harder with kids. Same goes to this journey (of going green). Thus my journey is and will not be a perfect one, but every time I am out shopping, I'm sure I will keep in mind that I don't need that extra plastic. Period.

Among my favourite, newer routine towards zero waste including :



1. HOME GARDENING

Growing my own greens (my aim is small : i only grow vegetables) eliminate the need of buying them in bulk (while only need them in smaller quantity, thus the remaining was left to waste). When the MCO started, my husband and I are also started planting. 


But with me, it wasn't really a waste, since I freeze my veges >.<

So far we have Lemongrass (very maintenance free), Pandan leaves and Galangal going strong, while still learning to grow Coriander, Spinach and Pok Choy. I love doing this! Everything with a routine made me feel good, idk why.. 

The main veges on the main land


Others in pots (Nutripots & normal pots)





2. RE-PURPOSE SHOPPING BAGS / PLASTIC CONTAINERS


I have quite a lot of paper bags from purchases/shopping, some are even better, from the same store (luckily I am one loyal customer!) Repeated purchases means I have around the same size/design of paper bags, so I repurposed them when I do gifting..


I have so so many bags of this size


Once, I use SEPHORA paper bags of mine, to give Seff's teachers some goodies/murukku (snacks)


All jars and containers are all repurposed from my own keep (mostly gifted to me)


Believe me or not, my recent Raya cookies gift for neighbors are also being repurposed, some from previous unused purchase, and some from my mom (can actually see the detached tape marks hehehe)





3. BUY GROCERIES FROM LOCAL MARKETS

When shopping at larger retailer like AEON, TESCO, I couldn't help but use their plastic bags, but at most I can do is to ask them to label their price tag straight onto my fruits (works well with banana & watermelon). I will want to explore more about this and shall update later


Fresh meat and vegetables!


But for my fresh meat, and groceries, I'll try to hit the local market more, or have them delivered to my house (plus, I can support local service business too!) So far it works well, I can bring my own containers, reusable bags or box, hoping the nature will thank my for very small effort





4. SUPPORT LOCAL, GREEN. NATURE LOVING BUSINESS

A little bit before MCO started, I found myself stocking up on beauty products from LUSH Malaysia and Lave Republic. They all arrived before the MCO, it's like I have this superpower to predict things (but I don't, haha, just fortunate)

No Photo. I posted about beauty products HERE




Until next post!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Blog Archive