My Egg Benedict & Hollandaise Sauce

9:43 AM


Many people knows I love cooking. I rarely eat out, except on special occasions (just for the sake of trying out new places, new items on the menu). When I do (eat out), I potentially establishing a baseline for my palate. To be honest, I love recreating the things I eat out at home! With better and premium ingredients, because that is extremely important to me

Among my favourite food is definitely : Egg Benedict


Oh you beautiful! ❤️


Since they varies from restaurants to restaurants, my favourite Egg Benedict composition are :

(A) Hollandaise sauce!
(B) Poached egg, yolk not too runny
(C) Smoked salmon!
(D) Toast, preferably Rye Bread


I've been keeping my hands away from recreating Egg Benedict at home just because I need something new and different when eating out. Since I have been to many restaurants, like Dottys, Jibby & Co and many others, I have to say I HATE THEIR Benedict.. I'm sorry, but their Hollandaise contains too much acid (lemon juice)!

For a big cafes and restaurants, there's a chance they outsourced and get things supplied, and they probably using the same, "reputable" supplier, but I assure you the Hollandaise isn't what I had in outside Malaysia.. (Please refer back to what I eat during travel. When travel, I definitely eat out!)

Do not let me start on another thing, which is authenticity. I once watched from an Instagram stories, a man from a French descent once went to a cafe and ordered a Pavlova, and he commented on the Pavlova being not authentic (he's an expat, currently living in Malaysia). Pity him. 

Note : Especially (spaghetti) carbonara, they are tad too creamy in Malaysia! I like mine only from Alexis..


My Hollandaise Sauce-Making Experience 

I succeeded only after failing 2 times, which is good number, right? The first time, I probably overthinking the process, I use melted butter and food processor, because I once read, the butter will cook the egg yolk. Nahh, if you plan to do this, skip it

The second time, I only use 1 egg, whisk it over a double boiler, on low heat and it was a success! But since I want to learn about Hollandaise, I keep pouring more butter, very little amount, and a little more, until it separates. Now I learn new thing about the butter amount to use. 

Being confident, I use 2 yolk, and make my Hollandaise.. I love it.

If you need tips from me, here they are :
1. I use very little lemon juice (real lemon, not some extract in bottle type one aa)
2. I seasoned with salt and sugar. Yes, sugar..
3. I use pure, unsalted butter. If salted, skip salt in tip #2

This is literally the best Hollandaise I could ever tasted! Not breaking any sweat at all


Taking from Chef Gordon Ramsay, you may store your Hollandaise in a food flask, but we usually had a clean plate in the end hehehe >.<



The Poached Egg

I am not rigid about the egg at all, since my preferences probably changes over time. But I usually like my egg yolk not too runny, so I cook my egg a little over 3mins.

The correct tips from the internet that you'll read and I'll recommend :
1. Boil water in a pot, make sure it is deep enough, don't rush good things
2. Create a vortex, drop the egg into the centre of the pot
3. Fresher eggs create better poached egg since it has firm tighter whites. Older eggs create more wispies, but my ultimate tip is : cut of the wispies or anything unaesthetic, using kitchen scissors. You'll get your perfect egg, don't worry..



My preferred yolk



The Smoked Salmon

I like my smoked salmon, but I also am willing to change it occasionally with beef streak, beef or chicken salami etc..


Beef streaky breakfast also can. This is another simple favourite. Egg is 6 minutes-boiled egg


The Toast

When I am eating healthy, I'd go for mostly Rye Bread (bought mine in Jaya Grocer). But these days since I master my Irish Soda (No Yeast) Bread, I love them in my Egg Benedict too, very yummy.. And since I lost 2kgs recently, so any toast will do. But for a healthier body and mind, Rye Bread, Multigrain or Sourdough, are all awesome


My current favourite, I found myself often baking this (use half from the recipe from previous entry)




What's your favourite food and did you know how to make it?


Now that I mastered my favourite dish, I'll have to find another favourite. So far, it would be a beef ribs.. with 3 to 4 hours cooking time, not making this anytime soon hehehe unless there's pressure cooker involved >.< (25 minutes, I believe?)




Until next post!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Blog Archive