Best of Beauty (Make Up) 2017

10:03 AM



While so bored waiting for EDD, and thinking I'll have no or less time to update this blog earlier days when the baby comes / arrives, I think I shall recap and list all of my best of beauty products (Make Up category) according to their type.

I'll start with the base, followed by the usual steps I've taken to achieve a complete everyday, work-appropriate makeup (No, I dont do a lot of makeup on daily basis, especially eye makeup : no eyeshadow and eyebrow -seriously! very virgin eyebrow here)

P.s. : During my wedding, I also requested for no plucking/threading/epilation done. My MUA have done very good job there!

So the first step I took after skincare is :

Primer / BB Cream / CC Cream

PHYSICIANS FORMULA Organic Wear CC Cream VS. TARTE BB Tinted Treatment Primer

I learned that primer separates skincare from makeup, and these two are very similar in the way that they both are tinted, so you have to choose your shades, and they definitely provide coverage. I skipped foundation all-over and straightaway set with (also tinted) powder foundation / powder. 

WINNER : TARTE BB Tinted Treatment Primer



To perfect the base, I spot-conceal any recent scarring or brightening up under-eye. But on daily basis (working days), I skipped this step (I have no dark circles issues, so brightening up the undereye is an option, not a must)

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer VS. Maybelling Instant Age Rewind Treatment Concealer

Mind you, these products served different purposes to me so I choose NARS if I had to pick one because its superbly GREAT as spot concealer, and very nice as undereye brightener too. Since brightening the undereye takes a lot of product, I choose to use cheaper one to do the trick. Hehe

WINNER : NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer



Next, I set with my usual powder and Ive been using SEPHORA Microsmooth powder (medium) for a very long time now (probably 3 years or so), its so hard to change this =.= #myholygrailproducts

And after completing the base, I straightaway proceed with blushers and highlighters. I have to agree with expert Bobbi Brown, Im no fan of contour makeup because mostly it looks muddy / like dirt (if overdone, I believe), or simply, I probably still dont have the courage to do so because of my job as an engineer, with a lot of time on site, thus sun definitely hit face, no need for fake shadow-ing LOL #idontevenknowwhyimtryingsohardtogivereason

So for blush, Ive tried many types from cream (COLOURPOP Super Shock Cheek), powder (ZOEVA Coral Spectrum) to liquid / lip and cheek stain (Benefit Tints : Benetint, Cha Cha Tint & Posie Tint), all kind including the NUDESTIX Lip and Cheek Pencil, and even : 

MAC Lipsticks as blush >.<

P.s. I am serious. Just swatch 3 lines (I did crossing lines) on cheek and blend



And on the highlighting points (above blush), Ill top it with highlighters as follows:


MAC Mineralize Skin Finish (Soft & Gentle) VS. BECCA Skin Perfector Pressed (Champagne Pop)

While everyone raves about Champagne Pop, I got mine and not using it much. I personally feel its too pigmented, while the Soft & Gentle is more like a glow from within when applied.. Like I pointed out earlier, I have to choose something more work-appropriate so I choose MAC Soft & Gentle everytime. FYI, Benefit Watt's Up is also very nice and subtle on the face, totally recommended these two! (MAC Soft & Gentle and BENEFIT Watt's Up)

WINNER : MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Soft & Gentle



For the eye, I still line my waterline using another #HOLYGRAILPRODUCTS of mine which is the MARC JACOBS Highliner (Gel Crayon Eyeliner) and never gonna look for another eyeliner (seriously!) I've tried kohl liner of many brands, pencil liner etc, I strongly, strongly recommended MARC JACOBS Highliner because its super creamy, wont move / transfer throughout the day..

If I wanted to (usually skipped this), I applied MARC JACOBS O!Mega Lash Volumizing Mascara

P.s. I dont know why, but I really love Marc Jacobs Beauty products, and they are all very good, I swear! (purchased on my own, not biased, just pure personal favourites)



And so I finish the makeup with lipstick :
MAC Lipstick VS. MARC JACOBS Le Marc Lip Creme

If anyone havent tried Le Marc Lip Creme, well, I guess you should. SEPHORA often has mini sized of this inside beauty packs @ simply go to beauty on the fly rack and search for this. Its simply amazing! Just like the Highliner, its creamy, non drying and have great staying power throughout the day, unlike the MAC Lipstick that one often has to reapply.

The con is only that, Le Marc Lip Creme has less colour choices / range and Id really like nude colours too, in the original formula (FYI, theres Le March Lip Creme nudes, but I believe its way too sheer and easily move / transfer). On the other hand, I bought MAC & Colourpop for their wide colour range! But MAC transfers easily. While the Colourpops', I cant do them everyday as it could be too drying on my lips..

WINNER : MARC JACOBS Le Marc Lip Creme



And here come the last step which is to set EVERYTHING we just put on :
URBAN DECAY All Nighter VS. URBAN DECAY De-Slick

I also didnt always set my makeup with setting spray (only do this if Id really going outdoor/to an event/rare meeting), but I purchased 2 different types of the same brand : Urban Decay , just feel the need to see the different.

Dina and I (from our WA group particularly made to discuss beauty items/tips) agreed that the All Nighter wins (and I gave away my de-slick to my cousin hehe)

WINNER : URBAN DECAY All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray




What Id really like to purchase in the future :

1. Blushes


MARC JACOBS Air Blush (Flesh & Fantasy) VS. NARS (Orgasm)

While many of my favourites in 2017 is from Marc Jacobs, Id really like to try their air blush because it involves this technique called draping, I believe? (When wipe vertically)

And would really like to compare with another most-rave-about like the NARS Orgasm, TARTE Exposed, Benefit Dallas or BECCA Flowerchild..


2. Contour Powder / Bronzer

I also would like to try mastering the art of contouring and has been eye-ing on these 2 out of 4 best contour powder/bronzer I could think about. So I swatches 4 different brands as follows :


Indoor (downlight) light VS. Outdoor (natural) light

Out of the 4, I think Id love TOO FACED Chocolate the most, but Amie suggested for me to go for BENEFIT Hoola, so I guess I'll get these 2 to compare. I think the Hoola is a lil' bit too warm? (Opinions needed)

Update : I just recently bought the Too Faced Chocolate

BENEFIT Hoola VS. TOO FACED Chocolate

.. and also, I am in constant search for the best foundation because there are simply a lot to choose! I bought many but havent found the best that Id keep reaching for (I believe), but I can say the Ive been loyal to LOREAL True Match from 2005 - 2013 hehe. 

Among the foundations Id like to try are :

1. NARS All Day Weightless Luminous
2. Fenty Beauty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear
3. Make Up For Ever Ultra HD (either liquid one or the stick)

P.s. I own Bare Minerals but sometimes feel lazy to buff buff buff hehe





I hope 2017 brings many many more awesome products ! Till then!

XOXO


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Recent Posts

Blog Archive